Tuesday, January 4, 2011

IKEA - my secret love AND nightmare

So I much like many other people LOVE Ikea...I also, like many other people (usually not the same people) have grown to not love Ikea so much.

I love that you can get some great household things for a reasonable price. I love their kids plates and bowls and cups. I love the whole kids section. I love their organization stuff. I love that I found an Ikea table from the 80s on craigslist and it still looks nice and is so strudy. I love the cheap food you can get there...$1 for breakfast :)

So on New Years Day, I had decided I need to get out of the house so I looked up Ikeas hours online...little did I know I was looking at the hours for the Calgary store. I convinced Jim to take me and the sick kids to Ikea. He joked about it not being open, but I checked...I knew it would be open. Guess what??? Nope totally not! So the next day with a little convincing (not much) I talked Jim into taking us there again. You see I wanted to get Gabby a new dresser for her room. So we started out, got there at about 10am. Bought a few things, plates, roll of paper, some paint smocks, another high chair for the daycare and a new pretty pink dresser for the Princess. (Its a big girl dresser and did you know that big girls don't pull all their clothes out of their dressers??? That is what we have told Gabby anyways)

We also found a new desk that we wanted. It was regular $550 and on sale for $200. We had a little money we got for Christmas so thought this might be a nice thing to get. So after wandering Ikea for hours, having a nice meal of swedish meatballs for lunch we headed into the warehouse to find out items. Our bookshelf (named Alve) was in the far back corner. And they were all gone or so we thought...we saw one like 3 shelves up. Jim asked if they could get it down...the guys response, we can't get out a forklift during open hours, its against BC Legislation. So Jim wanted to get it down himself. I forbid him and he found someone else to talk to. Apparantly, some kids at some warehouse (not Ikea) in some state were killed by a forklift so Ikea will not pull out a forklift during open hours. So we wanted to get free shipping to Abbotsford the next day. The kids were insanely fusy at this point so I took them to the van. Jim waited in the long line up to pay for our current things and then headed to customer service to talk to a manager. Boy was he shocked when the second guy he spoke to walked out. Told Jim he had to come back in the morning. So this morning Jim got up and drove out to Ikea for the 3rd time. He did get the desk  :) I just have to put it together now.

Fortunately Jim was able to help out a friend who needed a ride home from the Skytrain station on his way home :) To say the least I have had enough of Ikea for a little while. And I didn't get the bowls that I needed, so if anyone is heading to Coquitlam to Ikea please pick me up some colourful kids bowls and I will pay you for them :)

Blessings :) and Happy Ikea shopping!

Patti

2 comments:

  1. I also have a love/hate relationship with Ikea. I like all the cool kitchen gadgets and stuff, but they always seem to be out of stock with the big things I want/need to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you think they are out of stock, but they may just be up high and as per their policy they can not bring out a forklift. Like ours there were lots in stock but they were up high.

    ReplyDelete